In the age of a two-party system that only allow members of the two-party system to play in the sand box, this is an interesting question. The reason why American really has a a two party political system is because of self-preservation by members on both sides of the major two political parties - Democrats and Republican - have moved heaven and earth to keep themselves in power. Hence, the reason why America is where it is today.
Today, at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), Libertarians made it know which party was more conservative. And it was not the Republicans, contrary to what mainstream America or conventional wisdom may think. So with much fanfare at the convention, the Libertarians released the Republican Wall of Shame. Some prominent Republicans on the Republican Wall of Shame include:
• Mitt Romney, supporter of the RomneyCare socialized medicine program in Massachusetts.
• Mike Huckabee, who as a governor supported so many tax increases that the Club for Growth labeled him a "liberal."
• George W. Bush, who had a long track record of supporting big-government programs and regulations, and who once said, "I've abandoned free market principles to save the free market system."
• Newt Gingrich, who often supports big-government intrusion and who said about global warming, "The evidence is sufficient that we should move towards the most effective possible steps to reduce carbon loading in the atmosphere."
• John McCain, who while running for president famously suspended his campaign to rush back to Washington to vote for bailouts.
• Paul Ryan, the House Budget Commmittee chairman who voted for the Medicare expansion in 2003, the No Child Left Behind Act, the TARP, GM and Chrysler bailouts, and even ethanol subsidies.
• Arnold Schwarzenegger, former California governor. The caption reads "No comment necessary."
• The "mystery Republican president." He signed many massive spending bills, and during his administration, federal spending was the largest percentage of GDP in post-WWII history. (His shameful record might be broken by the Obama administration.)
This is in addition to the primary battles last year where the Tea Party and conservatives of the Republican fought against their own flesh and blood, they too proved that not all Republicans are conservative. Conservative Christine O'Donnell took out liberal Republican Michael Castle in Delaware. Conservative Joe Miller bested Senator Lisa Murkowski in Alaska. And the list goes on.
So it begs the question - are Republicans, or are Libertarians more conservative? Since the Republicans have kicked the Libertarians out of the sand box, the Republicans cannot cast as shadow of a doubt on the Libertarians. But the Libertarians can, and did best the Republicans by calling some of their owns bluff.