Friday, May 14, 2010

So here's the thing...

I'm all for offshore drilling, on shore drilling, ANWR drilling and clean coal manufacturing. I'm for natural gas, propane gas, oil, solar, wind, nuclear, geothermal, etc. Heck, I heard an interesting proposal for capturing the methane animals and humans release into the atmosphere via flatulence and turning THAT into energy. I'm also a conservationist, I want to see the earth repaired where we scar it and I want to ensure that we have places all over the globe where people can commune and live amongst nature. I'm NOT an Earth killer as the looney left generally labels us "Conservative TEA Baggers".

I felt the need to state the above because I do have a problem with the gulf oil spill and the subsequent "clean up attempts". The problem is this, if you're going to try something new, I understand accidents happen but shouldn't you have worked out the kinks? Shouldn't you be prepared for...I don't know a MASSIVE oil leak that spews thousands of barrels of oil a day into the waters? I mean it seems to me like these oil companies (I'm going to pick on BP through the rest of this) should have worked witht he Federal Government to develop a plan in the event that could stop this kind of thing. For instance, let's say a terrorist decided to puncture that tube and thereby cause a disaster, it's the Federal Government's responsibility to be prepared for that (Common Defense of the nation). It's also BP's responsibility to ensure the safety and security of the rig. So, folks can we stop pointing fingers now and get this damn thing cleaned up before it destroys us?

In the future, these plans need to be worked out BEFORE you sink a hole in the ground. I KNOW we need the oil but I can deal with not having it while you make sure it's safe to do it and make sure that the delivery system is secured. Hey, we could put many, many Americans back to work by employing them in the service of securing and monitoring these pipes. Here is a link to the full story from FOX News.

No comments:

Post a Comment